New Year, New Brand.
2017 was a year full of hesitation and frustration as I tried to figure out what my personal brand would look like. I think this held me back a lot creatively. My hope is to make 2018 the year I stop waiting for perfect ideas and start trying things whether they work or don't.
If you're reading this, welcome to my new pad! I'm excited to start using this creative hub that I've mulled over for years to speak up about stories that I think should be told, share ideas or creations I've made, and hopefully learn more about myself along the way.
This year, I want to do things differently. I don't want to burn out or be harsh on myself for not hitting every single one of my "resolutions" so I've decided, instead, to make myself laugh with some more realistic "anti-resolutions." Here's what I came up with:
- Cancel your gym membership. Moving shouldn't be as awkward, painful and frustrating as you make it to be. Add movement to your life with things that you love! Try hiking, yoga and dancing my butt off.
- Fail more. Failing at things that you truly want is considerably better than succeeding at things that don't matter to you. It's not about the numbers or the victories; it's about showing yourself that you could get started.
- Don't choose today to create. Choose everyday and keep choosing that over and over again. The greatest way you hold yourself back is by thinking there's an ends to the means of what you make. Change. Grow. Fall when you need to.
- Be a little anti-social. Take the time to get to know yourself well this year. Friendships that matter will always be there and plans that are important will find their way into your calendar naturally. Don't force a social life, and brush off the pressure that you have to please everyone.
- Be weak. Let your vulnerability be your strength. Write more often and create art that includes aspects of your life that scare you. Let bad things hold value and don't push them away too hard. These very struggles could be what connects you to someone who needs you, or who you need.
Yes yes, we all want "this year to be different" -- even when we've had a great run! But I love New Years, and I love goals. I feel light with the concept of getting excited, optimistic and energized around this time of year. I've decided to let 2018 be what it must, but also to try and accomplish this list along the way. To start, welcome to my life. Thanks so much for following me while I get lost in the madness!